A COPD diagnosis can be overwhelming. There is a lot to learn about COPD management, but it can be hard to figure out where to get the right information. Inogen has curated a list of resources for you so you can be confident that you are getting the most accurate and helpful COPD information you can. Explore the COPD resources we have compiled below to learn more about living with COPD, COPD management and COPD treatments.
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a chronic inflammatory lung disease that causes obstructed airflow from the lungs. Symptoms include breathing difficulty, cough, mucus (sputum) production and wheezing. It’s typically caused by long-term exposure to irritating gases or particulate matter, most often from cigarette smoke. People with COPD are at increased risk of developing heart disease, lung cancer and a variety of other conditions. Although COPD is a progressive disease that gets worse over time, COPD is treatable. With proper management, most people with COPD can achieve good symptom control and quality of life, as well as reduced risk of other associated conditions.
How to Find the Right COPD Resources
When it comes to getting accurate COPD information, you should look for COPD resources with accurate information written by medical experts. Ideally, you will want access to a breadth of information that addresses everything from COPD patient information and COPD symptoms to offering information about how to cope with COPD and stay healthy.
The Mayo Clinic, one of the world’s top hospitals, is a world renowned medical organization known for offering well-coordinated care that provides answers. They offer a variety of COPD resources, including COPD management tips, health and diet advice and more.
Additional COPD Resources
Inogen wants to ensure that you have plenty of resources you can trust. Below, you will find several reputable sites with expert COPD information. Explore these COPD information pages to learn more about COPD management, COPD treatments and other COPD patient information that can help you stay as healthy as possible. These resources can also connect you to support groups so you know you are not alone in your COPD diagnosis.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): The CDC is committed to helping prevent COPD, as well as helping those with COPD navigate their disease. Find information on the latest COPD treatments as well as ways you can take charge of your COPD management.
- American Lung Association: The ALA offers COPD patient information and resources to help patients understand how to use COPD management techniques to minimize symptoms and control their disease. Included is information about choosing the right health insurance plan, along with guidance for making a COPD action plan.
- CHEST Foundation: Find easy-to-read facts and infographics to help you understand your disease and get quick, simple access to information about COPD management, COPD treatments and more.
- NIH’s National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute: Find information about COPD and living with the disease, and learn about what clinical trials may be available to you.
- Nursing 2022: Resources to teach patients about COPD.
- World Health Organization: Offers information, facts and featured articles about COPD.
Finding Support for COPD Management
It can be extremely helpful to spend time with other people who know what you are going through. Consider joining a COPD support group or look into additional support at any of the sites below.
- ALA’s Better Breathers Club: Connects people with lung disease to education, support and community around the country.
- COPD-Support’s Online Support Community: Offers online support for COPD patients. The site was developed and is maintained by COPD patients.
- Contact your local hospital or medical center to find out if they offer a COPD or chronic lung disease support group.
If you are unable to find a support group near you and want to attend one in person, consider starting one in your community. The American Association for Respiratory Care offers helpful information for how to go about starting a support group.
- American Association for Respiratory Care’s COPD Month Resources: November marks National COPD Awareness Month. New treatments, greater advocacy on the part of medical professionals, and an extremely active patient community have helped to raise awareness of COPD. Resources to educate your community about this chronic lung disease.
- American Lung Association’s Lung Helpline: Find information, support communities and more.
- COPD Foundation’s COPD360social Online Community: Join over 40,000 people in an online COPD community that provides support, education, answers to questions and more.
- NIH’s COPD Learn More Breathe Better® Program: A national program aimed at increasing awareness and understanding of COPD among patients, loved ones, caregivers, providers and people at risk.
Inogen Offers Information and Equipment to Help with COPD Management
At Inogen our purpose is improving lives through respiratory care even during COPD management. As you explore different COPD treatments, Inogen will be here to help you learn how to breathe easier with COPD. We have a variety of informational blogs about COPD and COPD treatments, as well as our COPD fact sheet, to help you learn as much as you can about how COPD affects you. Oxygen therapy is commonly prescribed for COPD management, so if your doctor recommends supplemental oxygen, we have a number of Inogen products and equipment that can help you live the life you want. Find out more about how our portable oxygen concentrators can provide you peace of mind for oxygen at home or away, all day, every day. Contact us today for help from our experts.
LINKS TO COPD RESOURCES